Today was our prenatal screening interview and ultrasound at the Minnesota Perinatologist Office in Woodbury, MN. The optimal time to do this evaluation is between 11 and 13 weeks and we are exactly 12 weeks / 1 day. We met with the genetic counselor to go through our histories and to assess risk. As far as we could tell her, we have pretty good histories and limited risk factors. Sometimes these tests can be controversial, but we are definitely planners and like to have all the information to make future decisions.
They took blood from Rachel for the Quad Screen to assess the risk factor for chromosomal abnormalities (including T21, T18, etc.). They also tested if we are carriers for cystic fibrosis, fragile X and other carrier tests. Then it was off to the ultrasound to measure the nuchal translucency of each baby. This is a serious assessment, but we did get to see our growing, healthy babies on a very large wall screen which was wonderful.
I (Rachel) couldn't keep it any longer, I had to tell someone. So after the great ultrasound this morning, I told everyone at work. Not that almost everyone hadn't figured it out as I was missing so much work and puking in the bathroom. :-)
We should hear about the probabilities of chromosomal abnormalities in the next week.
Rachel and Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment