Family

Family
Family

3.30.2011

The Birth and First Days (Novel Length)


I had been having contractions/cramping every night since the beginning of March; which had made sleep pretty impossible.  The cramping got bad enough overnight on March 10th, 2011 that around noon on Friday, March 11th 2011, I went to the birth center at Hudson Hospital, WI to get checked out.  I was 3 cm dilated and having regular contractions every 3-5 minutes.  I stayed hooked up to the monitors for 5 hours and had no change in dilation, but the contractions didn’t stop.  I asked to just go home to rest and that we would come back if things progressed.  The nurses all said that they would see me later that night or the next day.  I got home and sat up in bed and everything stopped. 

I would only get cramping when I laid down flat to rest or sleep – exactly opposite of the norm where activity would tend to increase contractions.  So for the month of March, I tried to sleep sitting up – although since I had to pee every 30-45 minutes, sleep was rather elusive.  Early evening of Sunday, March 20th, 2011 was similar to all previous nights except that I had an increase in trips to the bathroom and the clear mucous discharge was still there - although not the “bloody show or mucous plug” the books say indicates labor is imminent.  Mike and I got ready for bed – he was heading to work in the morning and I was still working from home full time.  We lay down and watched 3 episodes of The Big Bang Theory on DVD and turned out the lights around 11 pm.  I again had a restless night and restless legs (the iPhone is great for surfing the web) – up all the time going to the bathroom and had the usual night time cramping, but managed to sleep off and on.  At 4:30 am on Monday, March 21, 2011, I woke up and was getting up to hit the bathroom when I felt a small pop and felt wet.  I knew that my waters had broken and ran to the bathroom to check.  The waters had broken (at least I hadn’t peed myself!) and were still leaking slowly, but regularly.  I was relieved that waters discharge was crystal clear – there didn’t seem to be any meconium present.

I walked out of the bathroom and said – “Mike, my water broke.”  He just got up and said “OK.”  I went to shower and he got the few items packed that weren’t already in our bag (toothbrushes, snacks, etc.) and to give the kitties extra food.  We headed to the hospital at about 5 am and I was having cramping the whole way there – it seemed just like heavy period cramps, but there was pain all the time – it didn’t come in waves.  We arrived at the ER entrance at 5:15 am and got admitted.  For the first time I did not decline the offer of a wheelchair to the birth center.

We arrived at the birth center and went to one of the labor and delivery rooms (#137) to get hooked up to the monitors.  I was checked and was 6 cm dilated with regular contractions about 2-3 min apart.  Both babies’ heart rates were stable (in the 140-160 bpm range) and were tolerating the contractions and labor well.  At 6:00 am, the nurses notified our doctor, Dr. Dennis Hartung, that we were there and in active labor.  He was already up and getting ready for work and said he would be there shortly.  

The pain and pressure became really intense and I was checked again around 8:00 am by Dr. Hartung who said that I was dilated to 9 cm with just a small anterior lip of cervix – essentially complete.  I began to lose control and wanted to get some help for the pain and pressure.  I requested a combined spinal- epidural (CSE) in hopes that it would lessen the pain (by about 70% per the anesthesiologist) but keep by legs mobile (it is a onetime injection rather than continuous medication).  An IV for fluids was started and the anesthesiologist was there around 8:45 am and put in the CSE injection.  Unfortunately, the method did numb my legs, but had only a small effect on my contraction/pressure pain.  I labored longer and was deemed complete at 10 cm around 9:30 am.  I didn’t feel any urge to push and was having trouble concentrating and requested a regular epidural in hopes that I would be able to concentrate better on pushing.  I figured since I already needed assistance in changing position (since my legs were numb) that I would rather have more complete pain relief.  I had labored to complete with no medication and was happy that I had made it so far naturally.  I felt that the epidural was my best chance at birthing two babies vaginally.  Another anesthesiologist came in around 10 am administered the regular epidural.  It was so tough to stay hunched over and completely still through the contractions, especially since it took a number of tries to get the epidural in correctly – I think it was 4 attempts to get just the right spot.  After the epidural was completed, I felt great.  No pain, very rested and ready to push.  Since I was completely numb, the nurses had to coach me in pushing during just the right time.  I was worried that the epidural may stall labor (which can happen if you get it too early) or slow things down so I would need additional labor interventions.  It was not the case at all, I got the relief at complete so labor was well established and Dr. Hartung practices the less interventions the better.   Because of this philosophy, I was able to try various pushing positions and push several smaller times per contraction rather than just holding my breath and pushing the whole contraction time.  This helped conserve energy and the babies and I still made great progress. 

I started regularly pushing around 10:45 am and employed a number of positions – back and both left and right side.  The nurses and Mike helped to maneuver and hold my useless, numb legs.  I was able to push slowly, but effectively.  Around noon, a number of nurses came in to turn on the baby warmers, so I knew things were progressing.  We had a total of 5 nurses (2 for me, 1 for each baby and an extra because it was twins) and 1 doctor helping to coach me through the pushing phase.   I ended up pushing for a total of 3 hours. 

At 1:35 pm, Alexander Squires Bulinski was born screaming and crying.  He was suctioned and immediately placed on my belly.  He was crying, but eyes were wide open!  He stayed on me for only a couple of minutes before the nurses took him across the room to get him in the warmer and checked out.  It was really nice that all the baby checks happened in the same room, they never take the baby from you unless they need to.  Mike was with him the whole time and taking pictures.  At 1:40 pm, Dr. Hartung used the ultrasound to check the position of Baby B (Baby A was vertex and Baby B was traverse since about week 32, before that Baby A was vertex and Baby B was breech).  Baby B had moved into position head down (vertex)!  All of a sudden Baby B’s heart rate started slowly dropping from the 150s bpm.  The nurses quickly moved me to my side and put an oxygen mask on my face.  It was pretty surreal and scary.  The position change and O2 didn’t improve the heart rate and the doctor asked for the forceps – they were all very calm.  A little before 1:50 pm, Baby B’s heart rate was at 80 bpm and Dr. Hartung used the forceps to get her out quick.  Catherine Squires Bulinski was born at 1:51 pm, also screaming and crying.  She was suctioned and immediately placed on my belly.  I remember rubbing her and saying I don’t think she is ok – Dr. Hartung said she was fine and they wouldn’t have given her to me unless she was ok.  He said we could have just minute because they wanted to check her out.  She was taken to the warmer and checked out while I was being looked at and birthed the placentas.  Each baby had their own placenta, but it had fused into one at the end of gestation (very typical for twins).  They started me on a small dose of pitocin in order to help with any excess bleeding and cleaned me up.  I don’t really remember too much about it since I was so busy looking across the room at the babies.  Although it did take a long time to push due to being a first time mother and having an epidural, the longer, slower pushing phase helped to open up and stretch the perineum.  I ended up with a couple of small labor skid marks (described as like skinning your knee type of injury), but no tears and no stitches!  It turns out that that Cate had a short cord connecting her to the placenta.  Since her placenta was high up in the uterus, when she entered the birth canal, the short cord became an issue and necessitated a quick forceps assisted delivery.

At around 2:15 pm, they decided to take Cate to the across the hall to the nursery to have Dr. Mark Druffner (family practice doctor on call for babies born) look at her.  Mike went with her and Alex stayed with me in the labor and delivery room.  Dr. Druffner had come and looked at Cate.  Mike came to let me know what had happened.  She had about a 10% pneumothorax (collapsed lung) on both sides.  It was common in babies that are born at 36 weeks, 6 days gestation and she was smaller.  They had her in the nursery warmer on 1L oxygen through a small nose cannula (essentially room air/O2  mixture).  She needed very little support, although the doctor ordered a chest x-ray to be performed immediately then again 4 hours later and then again the next morning to track the progress of the pheumothorax.  The condition was minor and expected to repair itself without assistance, but they kept her in the nursery overnight for observation with a short visit allowed to our room later.  The treatment was a “wait and see” approach until the morning of March 22nd, 2011.  If things did not resolve, then they may have to remove the excess air pockets (which took the place of where the lung should be) with a needle and surfactant.

I was in the labor and delivery room until around 5 pm until I felt pretty good and had feeling back in my legs.  I got out of bed myself and into a wheelchair and they took me across the hall to the nursery to see Cate.  We put her and Alex together in the warmer and they both just lay there calmly.  She was doing well, but had to work harder to breathe.  You could hear it when she breathed that there was more effort behind it than there should be.  We stayed with her and Alex until 6:30 pm when they came to take the second chest x-ray.  After that, Mike, Alex and I went to our recovery room (#134) to get settled and wait for the x-ray results.   We heard around 7:30 pm that there had been improvement on the left side, but the right side was a little worse according to the chest x-ray and that they still felt the pneumothorax would resolve and they would keep her overnight in the nursery for observation.  We called our parents at 7:30 pm to let them know that the babies had arrived and that they could come and see Alex.  My parents arrived at 8 pm and stayed for about 90 minutes and Mike’s parents came about 9 pm and stayed for about an hour.  All got to hold Alex and at about 9:30 pm, the nursery nurse brought Cate in for a visit.  She had to stay on the heart rate and O2 level monitors throughout her visit with us.  Mike and I had yet to hold her, so we held her until she had to go back to the nursery – grandparents only got a peek until the next day.  We ended up sending Alex to the nursery so that they could be in the same warmer together – it seemed to keep them both calm.  The nurse would bring in Alex every 3 hours to start nursing and for cuddle time.  Mike and I both got a decent amount of sleep. 

The next day, Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011, we woke up early – about 6 am.  The radiologist tech was completing another x-ray on Cate.  Dr. Druffner came in about 8 am to tell us that Cate looked great and that the chest x-ray was clear.  He looked over both babies and said they were healthy.  They were going to keep her on the O2 level monitor the rest of the day, but she could leave the nursery and stay with us.  Both she and Alex came to our room to spend the day with us.  We had a lazy day – Rachel tried to rest and start healing up (warm baths!), we worked on nursing and cuddled with the babies.  Dr. Druffner came by and told us that Alex had high levels of bilirubin based on the skin reflectance test and that they were going to put him on the bili bed overnight to help with the levels.  Dr. Hartung stopped by and to see how I was doing – which was surprisingly good.  I felt that I had had a hard workout and my muscles were sore, but things were pretty good.  Our families came again Tuesday night to visit and got to hold Cate for the first time.  Both babies were again sent to the nursery to sleep and were brought to our room every 3 hours to work on nursing.  Alex had a number of episodes of him choking on mucous (totally normal), but I was worried that we wouldn’t wake up if he choked again at night since we were so tired – so I sent him to be observed by a wide awake person.  We both felt that due to the excess mucous and bili bed, along with Cate’s initial issue, that we wanted one more night of them being observed in the nursery.

We had planned on staying the typical 2 nights in the hospital and heading home on Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011.  Both Dr. Hartung and Dr. Druffner supported us staying an additional night due to Cate’s slower start and the fact that I gave birth to twins.  Alex’s serum bilirubin levels were decent – kind of borderline high, but not high enough that he needed to stay on the lights.  We spent Wednesday just hanging out again and trying to get the babies to latch on and nurse.  We got help from the hospital lactation consultant and started to syringe feed formula while nursing to get the babies to be interested in nursing.  Nursing is a challenge with preemies and Alex and Cate are no exception.  They have weaker sucks and tire more easily than full term newborns.  We plan on meeting with the lactation consultant and the county public health nurse and possibly the midwife to get the nursing on track.  The goal is healthy babies that both nurse and bottle feed.  Hopefully all breast milk, but a breast milk/formula mixture is a possibility.  We bought a breast pump at the hospital and I started to work on building a supply.  Both Alex and Cate spent Wednesday night with us in our room.   We were up every 2 hours – mostly they had broken out of their swaddle or just needed a cuddle, but we also syringe fed them when they needed it.

On Thursday, March 24th, 2011, we were all ready to bust out of the hospital.  Dr. Hartung came in around 8 am to talk with Mike and I about physical and emotional changes and things to be concerned about.  He felt I was fine to be discharged and thought we could be home by noon.  Dr. Druffner came by one last time to check on both the babies.  Alex had his blood drawn to see what his bilirubin levels.  We learned late Thursday that they were still borderline high so we needed to come to the clinic on Friday to get him tested again, but didn’t need a bili blanket to take home.  Cate was still on the smaller side, so Dr. Druffner also wanted to see her on Friday for a weight check.  Alex lost about 7% of his birth weight and Cate lost about 8% of her birth weight – neither was considered an issue as it was less than 10%.  The babies lungs were clear and sounded good and both had great heart rates and muscle tone.  They both got the all clear to come home.  The nurse arrived with the discharge instructions for me, Alex and Cate from both doctors.  We went over instructions such as the babies’ feeding, diapers, sleeping, etc. and my healing and medications.  Mike and I dressed Alex and Cate in their going home outfits with their knit hats and blankets from Nonna.  The nurse did the final car seat check and we were off home at noon.  Of course that was after Mike spent 30 minutes getting an inch of ice of the car due to a Spring ice and snow storm.


Rachel
  

No comments:

Post a Comment